Monday, August 31, 2009

Naani maa

It has been quiet some time since i penned down my accumulated thoughts and it's time to vent out! So...here I was, all busy with my work, and i suddenly found myself addicted to this song "Meri Kahani" from "Atif Aslam". This song has not only been sung well but also has great lyrics too.

tera mera galyoon main yun phirna
phirte phirte raat ko yun thakna
thak ke nani ki godi main sona
paryoon k des ja ke na aana

"thak ke naani ko godi mein sona" - this line brought innumerable memories of my time with my naani. My childhood has been pretty plain and uneventful but is filled with some very good times with my naani. We had a ritual of visiting her every Saturday and the entire "jing bang" would go to her place and have a ball. I have seen her from walking around a huge house, to going slow with a walking stick until she got bed ridden. Rashida, Mariya, Maryam and myself used to spend most of our summer vacations there. Nanni's place was huge, with just 2 rooms separated by a long walk way where we could play cricket if needed. It was the best place to play Hop n catch, skipping race, kho-kho, hide n seek, blind man's buff and what not! During festive season, the entire family would gather and jabber and bring the roof down. Man it was the most happening destination in town!
(That's all the cousins @ Naani's place on Eid!)

I still remember the last smile on my Granny's face, when she looked at me and said "Sakina tujhe dekh mujhe aata hain paseena" - her favorite dialogue to me! She slept that night and never woke up. She slept peacefully with a smile on her face and free from this world. I still go to meet her at the Cemetery and whisper into her ears "miss u naani"

I really do!

3 comments:

Mariya said...

I'm in tears. I miss her so much. Her comforting presence, her warm smile, her prayers for us.
Love you naani wherevr u r, we know you're watchin out for us.

Meens said...

Nice reminiscence, stirred up some of my own memories. And beautiful photo, that :)

LAL NASEEM AKBAR said...

YOUR NANI WAS MY MOTHER I MISS HER VERY MUCH,YOU R LUCKY YOU ARE ABLE TO GO THER GRAVE N WHISPER NANI WE MISS U, BUT I SO FAR WAY I HVNT BEEN TO THER GRAVE FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS,NEXT TIME YOU GO PLEASE WHISPER ON MY BEHALF,MAY HER SOUL REST IN PEACE